Chesters Roman Fort
- From Chesters Roman Fort walk up the quiet lane and turn right to Lincoln Hill.
- You will arrive at a crossroads, turn right here, this part of the route will be signed for the Cycle Byway.
- After about 1/2mile, cross the main road and continue into Humshaugh.
- Admire the magnificent eastward views from the war memorial, and walk through the village.
- Leaving the village follow the road back to Chollerford and Chesters Roman Fort.
- Chesters Roman Fort (English Heritage)
- Humshaugh village and church
- Brocolitia Fort and the Temple of Mithras
- Brunton Turret
- Chesters Bridge abutment
- Chesters Walled Garden
- Hadrian’s Wall
- Hexham Abbey
- Hexham Moot Hall and Gallery
- Hexham Queen’s Hall
- Housesteads Roman Fort (English Heritage / National Trust)
- Roman Vindolanda
2 1/2 miles
Estimated walk time:
1 hour walking plus time to visit attractions
Chesters Roman Fort (Grid Ref: NY 910 704)
Hexham Tourist Information Centre, Tel: 01434 652220
AD122 Hadrian’s Wall Country Bus 9 (Easter to October), 880 all year to Chollerford
Ordnance Survey Map:
Explorer (OL) 43 Hadrian’s Wall
Places to eat and drink:
Crown Inn, Humshaugh; George Hotel and Riverside tea room at Chollerford; “Lucullus’s Larder” at Chesters Roman Fort (site visitors only)
Other walks in this area:
Walks Around the Mid-Tyne (Wall, Humshaugh and Chollerford). (Enquire at Tourist Information Centre)