Haltwhistle is on the edge of Northumberland National Park.
- From the ‘Centre of Britain’ sign walk through the archway opposite and into the supermarket car park.
- Turn right out of car park entrance uphill for 200 yards to Fairfield housing estate.
- Take immediate left after Fairfield marked to Haltwhistle Burn (sign fixed to wall).
- Go through metal kissing gate, passing playing field to reach a second gate.
- Descend steps to footbridge and follow burn-side path to old brickworks.
- Continue until you reach the military road, turning right (take care when crossing road), then soon after follow the path signed for Cawfields.
- From Cawfields Quarry car park follow Hadrian’s Wall Path National Trail east for 1 mile.
- At Caw Gap turn right along the road and take the second footpath, signed for Milecastle Inn 1/2 mile.
- Re-trace your steps to Haltwhistle Burn and then return to Haltwhistle.
- Haltwhistle (‘Centre of Britain’)
- Whin Sill
- Hadrian’s Wall
- Industrial archaeology – lime kilns, brickworks
- “Lovers’ Walk” river valley (Haltwhistle Ring Walk No. 3)
- Chesters Roman Fort (English Heritage)
- Hexham market town
- Housesteads Roman Fort (English Heritage/National Trust)
- The Sill: National Landscape Discovery Centre
- Pennine Way National Trail
- Roman Army Museum (Carvoran)
- Roman Vindolanda
- Walltown Crags
- Willowford Roman bridge
Estimated walk time:
4 to 5 hours plus browsing time
Stenuous (with some steep slopes)
Centre of Britain sign (Grid Ref: NY 707 641)
Haltwhistle Tourist Information Centre Tel: 01434 322002
AD122 Hadrian’s Wall Country Bus (Easter to October), 185 and 685 buses; Hadrian’s Wall Country Railway Line
Ordnance Survey Map:
Explorer (OL) 43 Hadrian’s Wall
Places to eat and drink:
Milecastle Inn; Herding Hill Farm Shop and cafe plus cafés, hotels and pubs in Haltwhistle
Other walks in this area:
A series of 20+ walks known as the Haltwhistle Rings (details from Haltwhistle Tourist Information Centre or visit www.haltwhistle.org)