Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland National Park
- Leaving the Northumberland National Park Centre, Once Brewed, cross the B6318 (taking care) at the dog-leg junction signed for Steel Rigg.
- Before reaching Steel Rigg car park join Hadrian’s Wall Path National Trail via the gate signed for Housesteads. Follow the path in an easterly direction to Housesteads Roman Fort and Museum, a visit is highly recommended.
- From the Fort and Museum, follow the tarmac road in a south westerly direction from the old farmhouse down to the B6318 Military Road. Turn right and in only a few yards cross the road (taking care) to take the ladder stile signed for Crindledykes.
- After 3/4 mile turn right onto a road (it is also the Roman Stanegate).
- Take the second road on the right for Roman Vindolanda. Once again, a visit is highly recommended, otherwise continue on the single track road around the back of the site and back onto the Stanegate.
- Turn right at the junction signed for Northumberland National Park Centre.
- Hadrian’s Wall – spectacular section
- Housesteads Roman Fort (English Heritage/National Trust)
- Roman Military Way
- Stanegate Roman Road
- Roman Vindolanda
- Northumberland National
- Park Centre, Once Brewed
- Brocolitia Fort and the Temple of Mithras
- Cawfield Crags
- Chesters Roman Fort (English Heritage)
- Hexham market town
- Pennine Way National Trail
- Roman Army Museum (Carvoran)
- Walltown Crags
7 1/2 miles
Estimated walk time:
4 to 4 1/2 hours plus browsing time
Stenuous (several steep slopes)
Once Brewed Visitor Centre (Grid Ref: NY 752 669)
Once Brewed Visitor Centre Tel: 01434 344396
AD122 Hadrian’s Wall Country Bus (between Easter and October) stops at Once Brewed Visitor Centre, Housesteads and Roman Vindolanda.
Ordnance Survey Map:
Explorer (OL) 43 Hadrian’s Wall
Places to eat and drink:
Once Brewed Visitor Centre; Twice Brewed Inn; refreshment kiosk at Housesteads car park; café at Roman Vindolanda (site visitors only); Milecastle Inn
Other walks in this area:
Bardon Mill and Thorngrafton Common.