Have your say - Public Consultation on Redevelopment at Segedunum Roman Fort
Segedunum Roman Fort in Wallsend is an integral part of the Hadrian’s Wall UNESCO World Heritage Site and tells an important story about life along the Roman frontier.
Over the next 3 years, Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums are planning to improve Segedunum to make it an even better place to visit and ensure it’s an attraction that people from Wallsend and North Tyneside are really proud of.
Some of the things They are planning include:
- Updating the bath house so visitors can walk through and see how all the different rooms would have been used – discovering the sights, sounds and smells the Romans would have experienced.
- Making access to the original bath house archaeological remains and the surviving section of Hadrian’s Wall much easier for visitors so they can be explored as part of the visit.
- A new digital experience within the 35 metre viewing tower where you can see all around you what would have been at Segedunum in Roman times and then compare it to the views of today.
- New displays telling the story of soldiers and local people and what the Romans did for us.
- Outside learning space e.g. for making Roman style pots in an authentic kiln or cooking Roman inspired food, making Roman crafts.
- Events and demonstrations with people in Roman costumes and using Roman-style equipment and tools.
- Picnic area, play area and attractive gardens with river views for local people to use.
- A new ground floor cafe with outdoor seating.
Segedunum have set up a series of public events where you can hear about the pproposals and share your views with the team. For those who can't attend, there's an online survey.
Public Consultation Sections;
Saturday 14 August - Forum Shopping Centre, Wallsend; 10am - 4pm
Sunday 29 August - Segedunum Roman Fort; 10am - 4pm
Saturday 4 September - Forum Shopping Centre, Wallsend; 10am - 4pm
Saturday 11 September - Segedunum Roman Fort; 10am- 4pm
For more information follow the link to the website:
You can find the online survey is here: